So today I told mom that I want boobs just like her when I’m older. I told her I want boobs but not the kind of boobs that sag like hers. I want the kind of boobs she had before I was born. The boobs I saw in pictures back when she worked as a stripper at Scarlett’s Cabaret on Hallandale Beach Boulevard and I-95, which is the strip club right in front of the trailer park where I was born. Mom didn’t really think she was gonna give birth but I was ready. Came right out on the linoleum kitchen floor. Mom didn’t want to stain the carpet. In any case, mom said I can’t have boobs because I’m a boy and boys can’t have boobs. I remind her that boys have boobs. They’re just different than girl boobs. I remind her that even some of the boys at Scarlett’s had girl boobs and the customers didn’t seem to mind. Men are stupid, she said, but those boobs are not for you. Mom said those are decorative boobs and I told her I knew that. But I don’t care. I want to get fixed up when I’m grown up. I don’t want a flat chest or hairy man boobs. I want real boobs. The kind that make all the men go crazy. The kind that make men worship you. The kind that make men scream hallelujah Jesus Christ, hallelujah. Hallelujah? Mom asked. Hallelujah this! She screamed. My boobs are the reason why I gave birth to this mess. The house? I asked. Not the goddamn house she yelled back. I think I pissed mom off today, but I don’t care. I have dreams. Besides, I love this mess. Even when she opens her mouth.
“It takes courage to be afraid.” –Montaigne, Essays, III, 6 (1588) Nothing scares the sun anymore. Not even sinking into the black sea. Not even the black sea and its power over sunsets. Not even the scars or parked cars on Sunday or the squirrels that dream of big things from the tops of enormous […]
The bridge & cranes dream of dogs and cats. They squint and find wormholes into other worlds. What they discover: there’s always one light that’s brighter than the other. And they are drawn to its luminescence with purpose. But there’s always something else in the distance, they think. Their fiercely squinted eyes look funny to […]
My name is Neil de la Flor and I am Almost Dorothy. I’m also the Executive Director of Reading Queer.Today, I need your help! Please consider supporting RQ’s mission to transform the community through the act & the art of creative writing @ http://readingqueer.org.
Reading Queer awarded $5,000 GLBT Community Projects Fund Grant from The Miami Foundation and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
NEWS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE SEPTEMBER 20TH, 2013 Reading Queer awarded $5,000 GLBT Community Projects Fund Grant MIAMI—We are tremendously pleased to announce that the Miami Foundation’s GLBT Community Projects Fund has chosen to award Reading Queer a grant of $5,000. The GLBT Community Projects Fund is a unique partnership between The Miami Foundation and […]
Not all zebras get a free pass so why should Robin Thicke. His “big” hit “Blurred Lines” glorifies rape and ma says that’s fucking insane. Just insane. Fuck you, Robin Thicke. Ma doesn’t care if you have a big dick. All she cares about is caring about women who get raped by dicks like you […]
- A Story About A Sunset
- A Story About Biscayne Bay
- Donate to Reading Queer: Yay!
- Reading Queer awarded $5,000 GLBT Community Projects Fund Grant from The Miami Foundation and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- Robin Thicke is a zebra
- Almost Dorothy says dontate to Reading Queer
- Almost Dorothy supports Reading Queer
- Almost Dorothy really needs your support!
- Almost Dorothy defends the right of all humans to fear rape regardless of gender or sexual orientation
- Almost Dorothy on Martin Luther King
- Event Invite: "Eros Erased, Eros Collaged" fb.me/23MHTabqD 2 days ago
- "Eros Erased, Eros Collaged"-- a LitCrawl event for O, Miami #lgbt #glbt #omiami #queer #litcrawl #miaim #poetry fb.me/2SDa446Gz 6 days ago
- Event Invite: "Queer Depot 101: Creativity & Queerness" @ The Stonewall fb.me/2hz7lb4cs 2 weeks ago
- RQ Writing Academy Fun(d)raiser ends @ midnight. Donate now & win a drawing by Emi Ribas alturl.com/ravvs #glbt http://t.co/CrIjzJyG7F 1 month ago
- Event Invite: "Queer Depot 101: Creativity & Queerness" @ The Carlton-Sobe fb.me/1cZ2fLlXy 1 month ago