So today I told mom that I want boobs just like her when I’m older. I told her I want boobs but not the kind of boobs that sag like hers. I want the kind of boobs she had before I was born. The boobs I saw in pictures back when she worked as a stripper at Scarlett’s Cabaret on Hallandale Beach Boulevard and I-95, which is the strip club right in front of the trailer park where I was born. Mom didn’t really think she was gonna give birth but I was ready. Came right out on the linoleum kitchen floor. Mom didn’t want to stain the carpet. In any case, mom said I can’t have boobs because I’m a boy and boys can’t have boobs. I remind her that boys have boobs. They’re just different than girl boobs. I remind her that even some of the boys at Scarlett’s had girl boobs and the customers didn’t seem to mind. Men are stupid, she said, but those boobs are not for you. Mom said those are decorative boobs and I told her I knew that. But I don’t care. I want to get fixed up when I’m grown up. I don’t want a flat chest or hairy man boobs. I want real boobs. The kind that make all the men go crazy. The kind that make men worship you. The kind that make men scream hallelujah Jesus Christ, hallelujah. Hallelujah? Mom asked. Hallelujah this! She screamed. My boobs are the reason why I gave birth to this mess. The house? I asked. Not the goddamn house she yelled back. I think I pissed mom off today, but I don’t care. I have dreams. Besides, I love this mess. Even when she opens her mouth.
My name is Neil de la Flor and I am Almost Dorothy. I’m also the Executive Director of Reading Queer.Today, I need your help! Please consider supporting RQ’s mission to transform the community through the act & the art of creative writing @ http://readingqueer.org.
He jogs. Squirrels race other squirrels. A poem watches on tippy toes. Its skinny neck erect as the trunk of a royal palm. You and I bury seeds in the winter garden. An arthritic labrador pees on the light post. It’s 9:02. He reads. A rat climbs the palm tree to access the roof. Other […]
A poem by Neil de la Flor about rectangles.
It’s on Repeat (after JeanPaul Mallozzi) He believes in red and is willing to dream of puppies. His iPod plays Molly Malone and he is not a ghost who wheels his wheelbarrow down streets long and narrow. He grips the rose like he grips the rose— delicate as an ice fractal. He trusts the viewer […]
Reading Queer awarded $5,000 GLBT Community Projects Fund Grant from The Miami Foundation and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
NEWS RELEASE FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE SEPTEMBER 20TH, 2013 Reading Queer awarded $5,000 GLBT Community Projects Fund Grant MIAMI—We are tremendously pleased to announce that the Miami Foundation’s GLBT Community Projects Fund has chosen to award Reading Queer a grant of $5,000. The GLBT Community Projects Fund is a unique partnership between The Miami Foundation and […]
- Donate to Reading Queer: Yay!
- Angel: The Winter Garden
- The Wolf
- It’s on Repeat
- Reading Queer awarded $5,000 GLBT Community Projects Fund Grant from The Miami Foundation and the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
- Robin Thicke is a zebra
- Almost Dorothy says dontate to Reading Queer
- Almost Dorothy supports Reading Queer
- Almost Dorothy really needs your support!
- Almost Dorothy defends the right of all humans to fear rape regardless of gender or sexual orientation
- Art Basel 2013 | Just Another Fly On the Wall instagram.com/p/hxRSrGDets/ 22 hours ago
- Holidays @ Wood Tavern instagram.com/p/hwg8wBDeq6/ 1 day ago
- Art Basel | Wynwood | 2013: Aftet/math. #artbasel #artbaselmiami #art #wynwood #glottman @ glottman instagram.com/p/htTtDgDekt/ 2 days ago
- Snow | Meng instagram.com/p/hqm4dIjegJ/ 3 days ago
- Belaxis Buil performs @ Panther Coffee during #artbaselmiami for, "Drifting: A Theatrical Exquisite… instagram.com/p/horq8dDejP/ 4 days ago